Hans is the founder of Industry Ventures and is on the investment committee of the firm’s secondary and partnership holdings funds. As an early pioneer of the modern secondary market for venture capital, Hans sources and leads investments in secondary opportunities and special situations for the firm. Additionally, he directs the firm’s investment processes, operations and limited partner relationships.
Since founding Industry Ventures, Hans has sourced and led the acquisition of over one hundred secondary investments in the venture capital industry. These transactions include purchasing corporate venture capital funds, hedge fund investments, restructuring limited partnership interests, acquiring portfolios of limited partnership interests, purchasing founders’ equity interests and structuring special situation investments with General Partners and Limited Partners. Earlier in his career, Hans was a successful entrepreneur who co-founded and acted as President of Microline Software. Microline was acquired by Blaze Software (IPO) and was subsequently acquired by Fair Isaac. He also provided board advisory services to Discovery Mining (acquired by Interwoven), nCircle Network Security (acquired by Tripwire), Speedera Networks (acquired by Akamai), and StepUp Commerce (acquired by Intuit).
Hans holds an MBA from Columbia Business School and a BA with distinction from the University of California at Santa Barbara.
All Insights by Hans Swildens
- A Graceful Exit - Managing Shareholder + Limited Partner Liquidity
- Secondary Funds – Venture Capital and Private Equity Update
- The Venture Capital Risk and Return Matrix
- Winning by Losing in Early-Stage Investing
- The Elephant in the Room: Hedge Funds and Mutual Funds
- Limited Partner Secondaries and Signals of Defaults
- Employee Liquidity: Good for Private Companies?
- The Art of the Corporate VC Divestiture